Saturday, March 5, 2011

You mean....it mattered?

I received such a blessing today...wow. Many of you have read my Oh, Dana posting about a Facebook friend of mine who recently lost her sweet little boy to a household accident (a heavy dresser tipped over onto him). If you haven't read it yet, read it first. You can also read her blog, Roscommon Acres, and read about how their family is recovering. Parts of it are sad, but I am very drawn to her blog...perhaps someday I will need it. Hopefully not for myself. No. You know what? I do need it for myself...now! It helps me appreciate what I have. It helps me not get so irritated at how my own children can get on my nerves. Maybe I can tolerate Munkin's (my 3yo boy) little antics a bit more if I remember that it can all be gone in a flash. It also just helps me see how a family that has tragedy strike like this copes...goes on...survives...then learns to live again.

Sigh...anyway, the blessing I received is a response that Dana wrote to me today on Facebook:

"It's taken me awhile to write this, but I really wanted to thank you for the entry you wrote about our family shortly after the accident. I read it and cried and read it again. I read it to my parents, to my husband and to myself several more times.

I don't know exactly what touched me so deeply, but I found myself going over your words again and again when I was struggling. Here, in an almost total stranger, I saw a glimpse of who I was before the accident and the joy we might know again with but an interruption.

Whether we view that interruption as the time of healing in this world or the glorious reunion in heaven doesn't matter. You really helped me think about the future as something other than more time without my baby boy.

In Him,

Dana"

I was floored. I never really thought that something like my Oh, Dana post could really be of any help to her. I think I mostly wrote it for myself and others that she knew that just didn't know what to say. It felt so good to hear that it helped her.

I'm not trying to brag. Don't get me wrong. I just want others to know that it really can matter if you give some kind words, let out your feelings about what someone is going through, or just give a listening ear. Don't avoid someone because you, "don't know what to say." Of course, I need to practice what I preach. I have so many people at my church who I know are going through a hard time and I tend to keep my distance. I become afraid of being too involved. I stay so busy with myself and my family. Shame on me. The little things we do really do matter...even if they really are little!

I'll never forget that again...

Thank YOU, Dana. I wish you didn't live in Nebraska! Lol...WHERE'S NEBRASKA???!!! (Inside joke ;o)

2 comments:

  1. Fly over country. :)

    And suddenly that's all I can remember having typed before my comment got eaten. But thank you. And if everyone had Facebook friends like you, there's be a lot less complaining about what a waste of time it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is Dana, not Bear. But at least it posted.

    ReplyDelete