My whole family loves this, and everything is Specific Carbohydrate Diet legal except the corn starch and the rice. What I do for my son, who is in remission from Crohyn's, is dish some out for him just before adding the corn starch for the rest of my family. And, of course, he doesn't eat his on a bed of rice. He could care less. :p
(Approximately 10 servings)
1 whole boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
4 or more cloves whole garlic (I always use about 6! Garlic is a natural antibiotic! No one has ever complained about me using too much garlic.), crushed
4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 large onion, cut into wedges
1 cup sliced carrots
2 cups SCD chicken stock
1/3 cup SCD soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 cup bell pepper, sliced
4 teaspoons corn starch (NOT SCD legal...this doesn't even add flavor, just a thickening)
Rice (NOT SCD legal)
- Heat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, garlic and gingerroot; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is brown.
- 2 Stir in onion, carrots, 3/4 cup of the broth, the soy sauce and sugar. Cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3 Stir in broccoli, mushrooms and bell pepper. Cover and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Serve -- unless you are adding the ingredients below for folks who don't have to have an SCD friendly meal.
- 4 In small bowl, mix cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup broth; stir into chicken mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce is thickened. Serve over rice.