Saturday, December 18, 2010

Oh, Dana...


I only "met" Dana (we have never actually physically seen each other) on Facebook a few months ago. What made her stand out from all of the other 1,000 or so homeschooling moms I have met on there was the fact that every time she would post a response to something I posted, it made me laugh. EVERY TIME! I don't think she was even trying to be real funny. It reminded me of my husband. He is the same way. He will say something so blunt and crazy, not even trying to be funny, and I just crack up and practically wet my pants. When he tries to be funny, I never laugh. I love people like that. Dana is like that. I instantly adored her.

Well, something awful happened to Dana and her family this past week. A mother's worst nightmare. Something you never really think can happen to you or in your own family. Her baby boy was killed. A heavy dresser toppled over onto his head at their home.

He was only 22 months old. His name was Mattias. They called him, "Tiggy...our little Oatmeal Pollock." I don't even know what an oatmeal pollock is. Doesn't matter. What matters, of course, is that Tiggy is gone. My new friend, Dana, now has a new life. One of picking up the pieces...all of the broken pieces. Her and her husband have five other children. Most of them witnessed the accident.

They were so careful! They tested, climbed on, and shook that dresser when they bought it to make sure it wouldn't tip. I don't know how it ended up tipping. My best guess is that he may have opened a drawer and stood on it. I don't know. That doesn't really matter, either. It's over.

I, of course, can't say what Dana is really going through. I mean, of course it is a nightmare. I keep checking her page and her blog, and I respond when she posts...hoping to be some sort of comfort...which I doubt I am. She has posted some things here and there, saying how she had to pick out what Tiggy would wear for his burial, and how she was trying to decide which of his toys he should be holding in the casket. I mean, GOD!!! Parents shouldn't have to decide THIS!!! Sorry, when I start typing exclamatory sentences, you know I am breaking down and crying while I type. She has posted how her 5 year old is handling the pain by drawing pictures of Hello Kitty with tears streaming down her face, even though the child has been pretty expressionless. She has posted how having her newborn boy needing her, and him smiling at her, has helped her to cope. She has posted a sweet tribute picture show of his life. It is beautiful. It's right here, if you'd like to watch.

But, what matters most...is he's gone. Never to be seen again...right?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

WRONG! Praise God! Dana and her family are saved...so do you know what that means?!!! They WILL see their little Oatmeal Pollock again! They know EXACTLY where he is right now. They know that he is NOT crying, and that he is NOT in any pain! God's word promises us that. PROMISES!!! How do I know that is really true? How can I really trust that there is a God and that this is really true? Because: "Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so." It's that simple, really.

So...oh, Dana...I cry out of the blue for you each day...for you and your family. For your children who witnessed this and will spend their whole lives reliving it. For your husband who wishes he could have been there to take the blow of that huge dresser. For you, who wishes you hadn't sent him back downstairs to watch the movie when he was jumping on the bed and giving his baby brother sweet kisses...kisses goodbye. I pray for you...I cry for you...and that's all I can do.

I do hope that someday you will make me laugh again...but for now, I will cry with you. My dear new friend.

6 comments:

  1. Well said. I, too, just met Dana thru facebook a few months ago. As the story of this accident unfolded, I saw all my grandchildren in my mind. How quickly one moment can change a lifetime and touch so many lives. There is something God has for all of us in this. Thanks for sharing what so many of us are thinking in such a real way.
    Denise, Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. And the "Pollock" comes from Jackson Pollock, a post-modern artist who "painted" by pouring and flinging paint. Tiggy was actually usually pretty good with his food. I mean, he dropped a bite to the dogs after every bite of his own, but that gets cleaned quickly.

    One day a couple weeks ago, however, I went to the restroom and when I came out, he had flung it all over the front room. I didn't see any particular humor in it at the time, but I wrote a post about it and we just started calling him our Oatmeal Pollock whenever he was up to any mischief.

    Sorry, but when I held him at the hospital after it was over, I told him I'd write down all his little stories. We've been talking about them, but I haven't been able to bring myself to start writing yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Dana. I look forward to reading his little stories. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i met Dana thru facebook just maybe a month before the accident.
    reading her blog makes me cry and makes me greatfull for every single moment i have with my 5 boys.
    Dana, you are always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise the Lord for fellow believers!!! When times are the worst we have the best comforter in the world. It doesnt make it easier but the hope we have lets us know eventually it will be easier and all will be right again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracey, you wrote what all of us that have heard Dana's story feel. Thank you for putting it so beautifully. Dana has touched so many with her strength and faithfulness. I have continued to pray for her and her family, but have found it hard at times to know what to say. As Dana says Words Matter.

    ReplyDelete