Friday, December 10, 2010

Domesticated!

So, my plans have become domesticated. Pun intended. :)

In the past week I have gone from thinking that I would NOT be able to bring a child with DS (Down Syndrome) into our family internationally, to finding out that there are quite a few that need homes here domestically. Cool! And, the fees are MUCH less (usually) than an international adoption. I still feel that the greatest need is probably the orphans that will NEVER be adopted unless it is internationally, like at the Reece's Rainbow site...but, there is still a need here in the U.S. It wasn't long ago that children with DS here in the U.S. were also put into insane asylums. Many women are forgoing abortion when they learn that there are indeed families that WANT to adopt a child with DS. I've heard that the wait is not very long.

I have contacted Robin Steele at the Down Syndrome Association of Greater Cincinnati (DSAGC), and we are getting the process rolling. I was told by many DS mommies that she is the person to call for domestic DS adoption. They were right! We will be meeting with our adoption worker at the beginning of January, sending in our paperwork, and then we wait for a call! Exciting! Scary! Lol...I am always scared when I am pregnant (although this is more of a "paper pregnant"). Well, I don't mean scared the whole time...just...anxious, I guess. I get a bit of a panicky feeling. It doesn't completely go away until baby is in my arms. Then, I'm fine. All is well with the world. Aren't I silly? Of course, I would be unrealistic to think that a baby with DS would be perfectly healthy. Many of them require heart surgery at a VERY young age. Most of them are born with very low muscle tone and even have trouble sucking. I would very much like to induce lactation and nurse my baby. I want him/her to have the best nutritional and bonding experience that they can to get a good head start. I did purchase a SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) a few months ago, so perhaps I could use that as well. There could be numerous other complications and medical issues. I just won't know until I know. However, the same could be true if I were physically pregnant right now. I am getting older, you know ;o). If I were to have a child born with DS, well, then, I'd be dealing with these same issues. The best thing I can do is just learn as much as I can about what might happen and pray. Worrying won't help. "Fear not," God says. Did you know that God tells us to not be afraid 365 times in the Bible? That's once for each day. ;o)

Whew. I have a lot to do! I have to finish Christmas shopping/prep. I have 5 great kiddos to take care of (and 1 great hubby -- he's been having back trouble and needs some extra TLC). We have homeschooling, church, sports, fun! I will be making some cloth diapers and crocheting diaper covers for our new baby. I will be reading a book called "Gifts," which comes highly recommended by numerous DS mommies that I have met online. I will be reading about adoption subsidies, etc., so that I am prepared to get all of that going. I will be reading the information at this site to learn more, too. The little punkins at that site are SO CUTE! I'd post them here, but I don't know if I should do that without permission. Just go and look at them! Smoochable poopsies! I also want to work on an aspect with my Usborne business that I haven't touched on much. One that should help with the costs of the adoption. It is our matching grant program. Usborne really is a great business that does some great things for children and literacy. I couldn't be more pleased with them. I didn't start this blog to advertise my home business, but I can't totally ignore it. It has been a great blessing.

Speaking of costs. That's another thing. The costs. I bounce between feeling stressed about the fact that we will be saving up for this (we don't want to go any higher than $5k in fees, etc., and they could be as low as $1k!), and having complete peace knowing that if this is God's will for us, that He will see it through. I will be cutting back on some "non-needed extras," and perhaps starting a fundraiser or two. I would probably be able to save faster if I just work my Usborne business more. We'll see! Let's just pray that it is on the low side. It's nice that we get reimbursed for all of the expenses, however. I would still be doing this even if we weren't, but heck, I'll take the refund!

So, away we go!

1 comment: