Thursday, July 12, 2012

Lifeline Moments...

Every morning, when my husband doesn't have to work (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and every other Wednesday), we do devotions together.
We read from "Moments With You" by Dennis and Barbara Rainey (we bought this at the "Weekend To Remember" weekend getaway we went on about two years ago!  Man, are those GREAT!  It was PIVOTAL in our marriage.  We also read the Our Daily Bread daily devotions (along with the "Bible in a Year" readings from ODB).

I cannot tell you just how important these times together are for us.  We are a pretty busy family (but...not too busy...I really try to keep that balanced and healthy).  Chet and I don't get many moments alone.  However, we do this.  This is our time, and His time with us, alone.  We discuss what we are reading, pray together, discuss problems and plans, and clear up any, "ehhhh...I have a problem with this," air that might be lingering between us.

The word that comes to my mind the most is "Lifeline."  Before we started doing this together, there was almost always a tension between us...especially if I had upset him in some way.  I'm a, "I'm not happy about this and here is why," kind of person.  I don't let things fester.  Chet, on the other hand, does.  Things can build up in him and then explode.  The Lord is teaching him to let things out, to release the pressure before it becomes volatile.  Anyway, these times together keep that at a minimum. 

When Chet does have to work, I do the ODB alone at the same time every morning.  I also pray prayers from Stormie Omartian's books.  I have the prayer cards, but those are hard to find these days.  I think I've found some on Amazon.com and ebay.  The prayers she has written out are FANTASTIC, and say things that I want to say, but never thought of on my own.  I truly believe that it is extremely important that we pray for our husbands, children, and even ourselves.

                                                                      

There is power in praying God's word.  It is the LIVING word of God.  God says in Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart."  Wow!

So...share with me what you do to have your "Lifeline Moments" with your husband and the Lord.  I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment